Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

Monday, February 13, 2012

My Precious.....

You know how Gollum feels in Lord of the Rings about the One Ring?  Well, I think that's one of the best ways to describe how I feel when I am presented with tempting treats like brownies, cookies, cream puffs, and other types of desserts.  At first, before I take a bite, I have some semblance of control, but once I take a bite, they continue to call to me, I can't stop thinking about them, and if you try and take them away from me, I may lash out at you. 

In Made to Crave, Lysa Terkeurst gave up all sugar, and although that is not my weight loss path, I can see why she did it.  She said she didn't have the strength to eat in moderation, she needed to repair that relationship with God so that she could have control over the sweets.  One bite could lead her back to her own bad habits. 

A dear friend made cookies a few weeks ago, small little cookies,  super delicious little cookies, one would not be too harmful, but guess what, once I ate one, 4 more easily followed.  It was so hard to stop.  Same idea with the brownies Friday night and the cookies at the quilt shop.  I desired them so badly, was tempted so greatly, but here is a good verse to help:

1 Corinthians 10:12-14
"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!  No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful;  he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.  Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry."

It feels unbearable when I am being tempted, but I need to remind myself that God will not tempt me more then I can bear.  By choosing God over choosing food, He will provide a way out!  Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. You will succeed in this. It is like any addiction, you have to be ready to overcome it. You have chosen the right path with God as your partner and guide through these trials. When you feel defeated, remember that God cannot be defeated and He is your partner!

    ReplyDelete