Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

Monday, February 13, 2012

It Was the Best of Times, It was the Worst of Times...

Satan has a funny way of working sometimes, just after my big first blog post on Friday, I had one of the highest calories weekends yet.  My mom was here for a visit and to babysit, so my routine was off, and it made for many tough decisions as far as food this weekend.  It had its high and low points.  It all began Friday night when I had some friends over for dinner and they brought scrumptious brownies for dessert.  1st off I made pulled pork for dinner, yum, and I bypassed having mine on a roll to cut calories and carbs.  Very happy with that choice, but then came the brownies.  I did only have one, but I REALLY wanted more.  I couldn't stop thinking about them, they sat there on the table staring me down and winning.  Eventually, I did take a minuscule slice, and then tried to send them home with my friends, who tried to leave them at my house.   They didn't want the temptation under their roof either.  :)  So a compromise was made and some stayed and some went.  I asked my husband to put it out sight, because seeing it was too much of a temptation.  So Friday night passed and I stayed within my calorie budget.  Saturday I decided to make Apple Streusel Cinnamon muffins for breakfast.  They were just 180 calories each so I ate one and had a protein shake.  Not bad, not bad at all.  Then my mom and I took off to check out a quilt shop and the owner had just baked fresh chocolate chip cookies at the store and offered us some.  It was 10:30 in the morning.  I have no problem eating cookies at any time if day, but even though the whole store smelled like fresh baked cookies, and they looked delicious, I was able to prevail and walk away.   (by the way, is it weird to anyone else that a person selling fabric and having quilting classes makes gooey choc chip cookies?  Can we say dirty fingers?)  Then we decided to bring Chinese home to the hubby.  Chinese food does not tend to make me feel full, and I ordered fried rice instead of white rice.  Rookie mistake, but overall I think I was sensible in the amount I ate.   

My mom came specifically so Rick and I could get out and she would watch the little one.  So we deemed Saturday night as our Valentines dinner out.  We had a gift card to Carraba's and a coupon for a free dessert.  I tried to take the advice from slimkatie at Runs for Cookies and searched Carraba's menu online looking for nutrition information so I could plan ahead what I would order.  Carraba's doesn't post their nutrition, bummer.  I did find some sites that said they knew, but it was only a few items they posted, not the whole menu.  When we got there we indulged in the free appetizer, highly recommend the fried zucchini.  Then I ordered grilled chicken with green beans and garlic mashed potatoes.  Definitely the best option on the menu besides ordering a salad.  All in all I think I did well, but I think I should have passed on the fried zucchini.

Then came Sunday, left over muffins, then off to lunch at a favorite local restaurant where I overindulged.  Beef on wyck, french fries, and a gigantic cream puff covered in whip cream and chocolate syrup.  Yup, ate it all and had the guilt and shame feeling afterwards and swore I would not eat anything for dinner but vegetables.  Well, that didn't happen.  Left over pulled pork and baked beans.  Thankfully, each day is a new day and today has been awesome!  After a weekend of slowly declining will power, my determination (God) kicked in and got me back on track.  The enemy's been defeated!  Brownies, cookies, and cream puffs couldn't hold me down!!

Isaiah 43:18-19
"Forget the former things; do not dwell in the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!...I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

No comments:

Post a Comment