Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

Friday, February 10, 2012

How this came to be...

So here it is, my first blog entry.  I have so many things I want to write about that I do not even know where to start.  I am by no means a writer (I will leave that to my sister Carolyn), I have never been good at keeping a journal, not even when it was required for classes, but I felt led to begin a blog to help with my weight loss, to help me keep accountable, and to track my progress. 

I have been overweight all my life, and I have hated it all my life.  I grew up with friends and family who loved me, and by the grace of God I fell in love and married a wonderful Godly man.  The pounds kept adding on and on.  I would have success losing weight here and there, but still would remain overweight.  In 2008, I biked my overweight self 400 miles across NYS, had a baby in 2009, and then in the past year continued to let the weight pack on.  I started running last summer to participate in a 1/2 marathon in October.  I lost a few pounds training for that, but didn't really watch my diet so much, so I didn't get the full benefit of all that exercise.  On October 31, 2011, I participated in that half marathon and finished with a time of 3:19.  It was a huge accomplishment for me to lug all that weight around for 13.1 miles!  Because I had not trained long enough before hand, my body hurt for a long time after that and I used that as an excuse not to exercise.  Then the holidays hit and I ate...a lot.  I would like to say that enjoyed the holiday treats, but the truth is, eating cookies, cheesecake, and candy may have tasted good, but all I felt was shame and guilt.  And because I was overeating all the time, I felt this shame and guilt all the time.  By the time my birthday rolled around on January 6, I decided enough was enough.  But it wasn't by own strength that I decided to change my life, it was with God's.  Here is that part of the story:

So have you ever heard of the Christian singer Mandisa?  She was a finalist on season 5 of American Idol and went on to become a Contemporary Christian singer.  I saw her at a few Women of Faith conferences and just thought she was such a beautiful woman of God, so of course I liked her on facebook!  On facebook she openly talked about her struggle with weight, and recommended a book "Made to Crave:  Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food" by Lysa Terkeurst.  Mandisa mentioned this book time and time again, and I was beginning to think about getting it, and then one night at my girls group my lovely friend came with this book in tow and read some of it too us.  A few of us decided to be accountable to each other that night, and the books were purchased.  Let me tell you this, the book was very convicting.  So convicting in fact that I stopped reading it, and this is what I sent to my accountability girls: 

Well, ladies, I could sure use support and prayer. I have been sitting on this for a while and just feeling plain old crappy. I have been exercising quite a bit the last few weeks but I haven't really changed my diet, so I am not really losing any weight. I have so many reasons to lose weight, but none of them seem to be strong enough to make me stop the eating. I am embarrassed that I cannot stop, because my motivations to stop are pretty big ones such as 1) My relationship with God, 2) The 1/2 marathon in a few weeks, 3) my fertility issues. Losing weight may not make me fertile, but it would boost my chances. I am so ashamed of myself for not being able to break this cycle. I have picked up the book, read some and then put it down for weeks because it challenges me and I guess I don't want to have to deal with the struggle of trying to break free, but in all reality, I am miserable anyway because I am so embarrassed and ashamed. A lot of frustration and tears.

I wrote that in September, and it still took me until January 6 to find the determination to break that cycle.  God didn't give up and now neither will I.  I want to draw closer to God and I want my heart to crave Him and not Cadbury mini eggs, or Starbucks frappachino's, or cookies fresh from the oven...I could go on and on.

Here is something else I have learned...notice in my message to my friends I said I couldn't find the motivation, well I have stumbled upon a blog of a woman who last over 100 lbs through diet and exercise and she explained the difference between motivation and determination.  Here it is in her words at Runs for Cookies.  But basically motivation is a force, stimulus, an incentive or drive, where determination is the act of deciding definitely and firmly; firm or fixed intention to achieve a desired end.  Apparently I was never motivated enough to make a real difference in my life, but I am determined to reach the desired end, which is to crave God, and become fit for a King!  So far so good.  I have finished the book, and started re-reading it for support (it has a lot of great scripture references in it!)  Not only have I finished the book, but since my weigh in on January 7, I have lost 10 lbs!

So friends, there it is, my first blog entry.  Maybe one of these days I will be brave enough to post my beginning weight, I am not there yet.  Please pray with me, for me, and let me know how I can pray for you.  Until next time, Sara

13 comments:

  1. First of all, I just want to say that you inspire me as the woman of God you are. You and Rick are such a wonderful example of a Godly marriage that it makes me want that all the more. You guys make it look easy and though it may seem those comments are unrelated to your blog, they're not really. You are wonderful and amazing and I'm so glad YOU're my sister (ok, in law)-just the way you are. That being said, WOW! I was blown away by your humility and candor as I read. I will most definitely be praying for you (and Rick) as you go through this spiritual (and physical) transformation. All I have to say is congratulations, go for it and to Him be the glory! Love you much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fist comment!, Thank you sister for your loving words and support. Made me cry. :)

      Delete
  2. Sara praise the LORD and he will make you strong. Lord be with my friend as she seeks you. Give her the strength to avoid temptations of food, because thru you all things are possible. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck. I will be praying for you through this journey! We are all very proud of you! I know this won't be easy but God will give you the strength. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear friend! You know about Gods strength, that's for sure! Love you!

      Delete
  4. What do you mean you're not a writer?!?! It's a story, your story, and it's wonderfully written. You've got my prayer support! Love you, Rick, and Anna to bits!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiley for such kind words and PRAYER! :)

      Delete
  5. You are an honest, God-honoring woman, and you will succeed! I'm looking forward to following your progress. And I encourage you to talk with Michelle Z., who is on her own 100 pound journey with great success. I love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J! Good idea contacting Michelle, AND she doesn't live that far from me!

      Delete
  6. OK - you know I'm not exactly the church going family member so this took some exploration but this is what I see in the Bible. He loves you unconditionally. It doesn't matter what you weigh, where you live, what you have or don't have...He loves you no matter what. You are so couragous to take this journey on line with everyone watching. Please know I am here (with my own weight struggle) to talk ANY time you need me. Hugs and kisses and lots of luck.

    Ephesians 3:16-19

    “I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God does love us unconditionally, but I have a responsibility too in my relationship with God and I have recognized that I had put food before God. When I am depressed, I look for sweets rather then praying, when I am physically and emotionally drained, I reach for the cookies, when I am bored, I dig into the cheddar cheese goldfish, or chocolate, or even a spoonful of frosting in the fridge, etc.

      Revelation 2:4
      "Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love."

      God also calls us to have self control, something that I was not having when it came to food.

      Galatians 5:22-23
      "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and SELF CONTROL"

      I have a responsibility to take care of this body God gave me.
      1 Corinthians 6: 19-20
      "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price(Jesus death on the cross). Therefore, honor God with your body."

      Don't worry Bec, I am not giving up all good things, just learning to control how much. Thank goodness I have almost a whole year until Kent Family Christmas to practice my new eating habits! I really appreciate your love and concern for me, this is a good thing! Love you!

      Delete
  7. Sara, I am so proud of you. You have my full support, my accountability, AND - I will add - I am so inspired by you. Thanks for being exactly who you are. Beautiful, inside and out. Julia

    ReplyDelete