Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

Saturday, March 10, 2012

When being heavy isn't so bad.......

So last night we drove up to the ADK's to begin a great visit with family.  For some reason the quick, heavy snowfall that hit our area and melted right away, hit the roads in the mountains and stayed put, and being that it was only a few inches, the local municipalities were not out in full steam getting them cleared up, so our trip was taking a little longer then usual, and was a little more stressful then usual.   Our little car was not handling it real well and we had some trouble on some of the hills.  Then came the big one, an old familiar friend from my youth, a hill that has caused my family and friends some trouble over the years, and now it was out to strike again....As we ventured up that hill, we kept slowing down and eventually the little car would go no further.  My hubby backed down the mountain and was getting ready to get the best running start we could when the plow came down on the other side.  So we tried going up the freshly plowed side, but to no avail, the plow didn't seem to make any difference and we didn't even make it as far as we had the first time.  Back down again.  The third time we still couldn't make it up and the little car just sat spinning tires.  Other people had whizzed on by us leaving us there in their dust(snow spray).  As we sat there tensions and anxiety were running high.  My husband was at his wits end, we were in the middle of nowhere in the snowy mountains.

 "What are we going to do?" he asks.
 "Well, we may have to just go back down and wait until the snow plows clear the roads better, find someone who will let us use their house (because there is no cell phone coverage out in the middle of nowhere in the ADK's) phone to call my parents, and just wait,  OR...I can sit on the hood of the car to give us some more weight in the front of the car to help us get up the hill."

Yup, that was my big contribution to the problem, back in the day my grandparents had a very long driveway which was downhill to get to their house.  Every winter cars would have trouble at some making their way up the hill to leave.  I remember people pushing, sanding, but what worked the best for me once was when my Uncle Bob hopped on the front of my car and I was able to get up with no problem, it worked then and guess what...it worked last night!  I hopped on the front, held on to the hood up near the windshield wipers and the car was able to make it, slowly and surely up the hill.  It was a beautiful Adirondack night, stars were shinning, snow was glistening in the moonlight, and I was riding the hood of my husband's car.  lol.  (And boy was my heiny getting hot!)

Getting to the top of that hill was a huge relief and we made it to my Gram's without any further complications.  (Well, except for getting my hand stuck in the door as I hopped back in the car) BUT, the first thing that I said after I yelled about my hand being caught in the door and stopped chocking back tears was,
"Good thing I haven't lost all my weight yet!"  Yes there is a an advantage to being heavy if you are ever stuck on a snowy hill!"

No comments:

Post a Comment